Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Recipe of the Month

I love spring because it makes for easy cooking. Spring to me calls for lighter meals like soups or salads with greens from your garden. So delicious!

Today's recipe is a fairly new one of our family. My grandma Janet introduced this to Hanna and my mom when they were there over Christmas, my mom introduced it to me and we have all been craving it ever since.

Broccoli Cheese Soup

1 1/2 quarts water
2-3 stems fresh broccoli, chopped
3/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Accent, if desired
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 16-ounce package American cheese (aka Kraft singles), unwrapped
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cup half n half
1/4 cup butter
enough flour and water to make a paste for thickening.

Bring water to a boil; add broccoli and onion and cook 10-12 minutes, until tender. Add seasonings and cheese; stir until cheese melts (I like to add one at a time so I don't get clumps). Add milk, cream and butter and bring to a boil. Add flour-water paste until it is thickened to your desired consistency (I like it to be like thick cream). This keeps well--just reheat on the stove.

Our family LOVES this soup. I always wish I had made more because we eat it so quickly. Jed eats it until his belly is tight as a drum and he can't hold any more.

No comments: