Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Two down, four to go

We have been painting! We decided to start with the small rooms and sort-of ease into it. It hasn't been easy--we're so lazy and would way rather read, watch TV, or heck, do dishes or chores during naptime and after Jed's in bed. But we perservered and here's the proof:

First off, here is what the laundry room used to look like:
Surprisingly, it bothered me the least of everything in the house because the panneling was white. But...

...still nasty, even if it was white. Remember, kids, if smoking does this to your house, imagine what it does to your lungs!

And (drumroll please) here's what the laundry room looks like now!

I love, LOVE this yellow. It is so bright and cheerful in this tiny space and I smile every time I'm doing laundry. We made sure to keep a lot of white in the room by installing the shelves, painting the trim and painting the cupboards white so the yellow doesn't get overwhelming.

I love it, especially with the added shelf space. Yay!

Next up, the bathroom:

Sad, boring bathroom

Sad boring bathroom with too much panneling. I know our house was built in 1977, but COME ON. Panneling in the bathroom?

And here's the new-and-improved version:

I love the wood of the cupboards and the windows but I was ready for color and light everywhere else. So we painted the panneling white, hoping that it would be like wainscoating and painted the top this awesome green.

Since our lighting is not too great, you're not getting a true-to-life version of this color. It's a little less brown in reality.

I love how cheerful this bathroom is now. So much fun to get ready in a happy space!
*
So, we're really happy with how these rooms have turned out. I still have plans for them--I'd like to replace the floors in the laundry room, kitchen and bathroom with something that isn't smoke-stained linoleum and change the counters for something more modern--but this is such a vast improvement. Stay tuned for the rest of the house!

4 comments:

Katie Groneman said...

Man, you guys are so good at projects! I like to think that someday Brett and I will have projects... maybe when we actually have our own house.

Janette said...

I love it!! I wish that I lived somewhere that I could paint, I love to paint. If I lived closer I would come and help you!

Sylvia said...

What a transformation by just changing the paint color. I would love to do something that bold but I am not that brave. I like what you have done!

Tara said...

I love it!