Friday, October 8, 2010

earring magnets

I love earrings! I also love yard sales. Most of the earrings I see at yard sales are the old-lady-clip-on variety. I think wearing someone else's earrings is a little like wearing their underwear, and I no longer need clip-on earrings, but I still look for the coolest ones to turn into magnets for our fridge.

It's really easy to make magnets from earrings. You need:

old earrings, needle-nose pliers, magnets and some superglue

Using the pliers, carefully remove the clips from the backs of the earrings. If there is any of the clip left over, make sure it is mashed flat along the back of the earring.

Then superglue the magnet to the flat back of the earring. If your earring is bigger, you may need to glue two magnets together to give it more height off the fridge and to make it hold stronger. This time around, I found magnets that have an adhesive surface already and they work great.

You can also do this with old broches and pins. Again, remove the pin from the back, superglue the magnet and away you go. You'll definitely want to go the two-magnet route with pins.

This is such an easy project that brings instant pizzaz to a boring place. I love looking at my fridge (it isn't really this clean) and seeing that sparkle. This way, I get to enjoy my bling and I don't have to wear what used to belong to someone named Thelma :)

3 comments:

breanneryanmurray said...

what an awesome idea!

Janette said...

So, remember that one time we were in NYC and you got your ears pierced and I had to hold your hand? That memory just popped into my head with this post! Maybe one of these days I will get up to the city and look for the store! That was lots of fun!!

Anna Wilson said...

What a cute idea. I'll have to hit the thrift store so I can have cute magnets too.