Monday, December 13, 2010

Apple-Cinnamon Christmas Ornaments

For Relief Society this month, instead of teaching a preparedness class, we're having a dessert party and little program. My friend Laura and I are in charge of things and for part of our program, we're talking about the Christmas Star. We made star ornaments to give to the sisters, and I am so pleased with how they turned out.

The stars are made out of applesauce and cinnamon and they smell amazing. It was so easy and fun to make them, I thought I'd put the recipe on here so you could try it too. This was a great craft to do with kids because it wasn't terribly expensive or messy and didn't take very long. Also, it makes your house smell so good.

Apple-Cinnamon Clay Ornaments

1 cup ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice, if desired
3/4 cup applesauce
2 tablespoons white glue

Combine wet ingredients, then add dry ingredients. Work mixture with hands. If mixture is too dry, add more applesauce. If mixture is too wet, add more cinnamon. Roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness and cut with cookie cutters. This is most easily accomplished by covering dough with plastic wrap before rolling. Use a skewer to make holes for hanging. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet in a 200 degree oven for several hours, turning occasionally, until dry. Makes 20+ ornaments.

I purchased the cinnamon at the dollar store because it was cheap--$1 got me 2 2-ounce containers, which was plenty for the number of ornaments we needed to make.

I dove into my stash of notions and came up with lace, ribbon and ric-rac for the ties.

I think our ladies will love them.

No comments: