Thursday, December 23, 2010

sickness explained

So, remember how I said Jed had been irritable, uncooperative and was refusing to eat, not to mention that he had a cough and runny nose? Well, after a sleepless night Tuesday night, during which Jed didn't want to be held, didn't want to sleep with us, and especially didn't want to sleep in his own bed, I gave up and took him to the doctor.

They found that he had ear infections in both ears!

Ding, ding, ding, Ladies and Gentlemen, the recipient of the Least Observant Mother of 2010 Award goes to . . . me!!

How could I have not noticed that he was so sick? Granted, I noticed the nose and the cough, and I eventually checked to see if he was getting any more teeth, because he was so grouchy, but ear infections never crossed my mind. I was just desperate to know what I could do for him, and I was getting so frustrated with his terrible behavior, and that's what prompted me to take him to the doctor.

Please tell me I'm not the only mom to have ever let an illness go unchecked for so long. I feel guilty for my frustration with him, and so sad to think of him hurting and not being able to tell me, and me not understanding the signs he was showing. It's awful, especially because now that he's had several doses of amoxicillin in his system, he's mostly back to his normal self--including the two-year-old stubbornness. Thank goodness!

2 comments:

Amber said...

It is so hard to tell when they are so young. Don't beat yourself up about it. Spencer has been saying "ow" a lot lately and grabbing his wrist/forearm, and I've wondered if I should take him in to get it looked at, but he moves it just fine, so it's not broken. So hard to know....I'm glad Jed is back to his old self. Merry Christmas!

Tara said...

No, you are not the only one. The same thing happened to me about a month ago. Lydia got a cold and had this "cold" for about three weeks before I took her in. Yeah, this makes me even worse with the whole "observant-mother" thing. But to my credit, she has never had to go in to the doctors for anything other than vaccinations. She's just always been so healthy I figured the cold would just go away. But sure enough, when I took her in, she had an ear infection. I think you are a GREAT mom Holly. Don't feel too bad. :) By the way, we got your card in the mail - I loved it!!