Today's art project is making melted hearts. Love turns us all a little mooshy and melty at times, so what better way to show it?!
You will need crayons in assorted valentine colors, two sheets of waxed paper, scissors (or some other way to shave the crayons. I thought about using a vegetable peeler but didn't want to sacrifice my only one), a paper towel and an iron. Lay one sheet of waxed paper on a smooth surface (we used the ironing board) with the waxy side facing UP. Shave the crayons with your scissors or other peeler until you have a good amount spread over most of the waxed paper.
I love how these little curls look--so pretty.
Place your other sheet of waxed paper on top of the wax curls with the waxy side facing DOWN and top it with the paper towel. Iron gently over the whole thing until the wax melts--about 2 minutes, depending on how hot your iron is. I recommend the setting for synthetic fabrics, which is very low heat.
Ta-da! Your wax is all melty and looks really pretty.
Cut hearts (or other shapes, for different holidays) and voila! Melted hearts. I think these would be really pretty hanging in a window. We just hung ours on our little arty clothesline to go along with our other projects. Our house is getting more and more festive!
This little art project was pretty fun, but after doing it, I think it's definitely suited for older kids. Jed didn't get to help much at all for this one. He did enjoy picking out the colors of crayons to use and poking the waxed paper with a straight pin that was stuck to the ironing board for some reason.
No comments:
Post a Comment