Tuesday, March 12, 2013

St. Patty's crafts #3 & 4

Friday and Saturday we did some more St. Patty's day crafts. Jed had a blast with these ones.
 
Friday we did Marshmallow Rainbows. The rainbows were a little simpler than our paint chip rainbows, since "rainbow" mallows only come in pink, orange, yellow and green. Jed was quite bothered that there were no blue marshmallows.
I learned from my mistake with the paint chip rainbows and drew the line I wanted him to attach his marshmallows to instead of lines that the marshmallows should be between. It seemed to be easier for him to get the gist this time. However, when he saw the marshmallows, he immediately wanted to EAT them instead of glue them down. So this was also a good exercise in self-restraint.
 Because I am a really nice mom, I gave him a small bowl of marshmallows that could be eaten and we had a larger bowl of marshmallows to glue. He was THRILLED. 
We put dots of glue on the lines and then we just sat and stuck our marshmallows and tried not to eat them. My glue dots (pictured above) were a lot closer than Jed's since I have (barely) more fine-motor control. This was really good pre-writing practice for Jed, since he had to hold the marshmallow in essentially the same grip he uses to hold a writing instrument to avoid getting glue on his fingers. I am always happy to sneak in a little occupational therapy when I can!
 I think Jed's favorite part of this craft was smashing down the marshmallows on the glue. He has some very deflated marshmallows on his rainbow now! I really love how these turned out. So pretty!

Saturday, I helped Dave and Jed make Handprint Leprechauns. Jed thought it was especially funny that Daddy was doing an art project with us! Because this was such a quick project, I didn't take any pictures of the process. But I painted the palm of their hands with peach paint (for the face) and their fingers orange (for the beard) and then helped them press their hands on construction paper. Once the handprints were dry, we attached hats, hatbands and buckles cut from construction paper, googly eyes, and drew on noses and mouths. I think they turned out SO CUTE!
 Jed wrote his name with minimal help! He is doing so great with his letters!
And here is our project wall with the latest additions. I am going to have to pull out some more clothespins and make some room, because I still have a couple of crafts for this week. I am so glad we take the time to do these little crafts. Most only take about 15 minutes, but combining the crafts with holiday books we check out from the library has really helped Jed understand the holidays we're celebrating. It is fun to watch him get so excited about little things!

No comments: