Thursday, June 6, 2013

a "garden" update

Just a little update on our plants (I know, so thrilling!). They continued to grow and Jed helped me re-pot all the tomatoes and peppers (not pictured below).
 Our lettuce and spinach are doing well in the window boxes and have grown a lot since this picture was taken. I am really hoping to actually get some that's big enough to eat this year!
 Last week, Dave built me two 8 x 3 grow boxes, one on either side of our backyard. We transplanted our zucchini, squash and cucumber starts out there immediately, and when we were shopping, we bought some different tomatoes and peppers than the ones here at home. We planted those immediately as well, and the starts that are still a little too small to be transplanted are growing well in a box next to the grow-boxes.

We left plenty of room for more plants (I hope) and I am keeping my fingers crossed for a good harvest of squashes, tomatoes and peppers this fall. I really want some home-made salsa this year! Everything else I will have to continue buying at the farmers' market, but since we have a great one in town, it's not a hardship. I love supporting local farmers and have made several good friends among them. They always have good advice about what to try and how to cook it, and Jed loves to pick out special veggie treats (last year it was purple green beans) and eats them much more readily when it's something he's picked out. Hooray for summer produce, whether it comes from my backyard or someone else's!

No comments: