Saturday, March 1, 2014

warm up with the recipes of the month

Brrr! After all the snowy pictures the last couple of days, I am freezing. Thank goodness for February/March's recipes of the month--two delicious soups.

First up is a delicious sweet potato and lentil soup I have adapted from Eat Yourself Skinny. We love the unique flavors of this soup.

Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup

2 tbsp oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 small tomatoes, chopped, or 1 can sweet onion tomatoes, drained
fresh ginger
3/4-ish tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp cinnamon
dash cayenne pepper
pinch salt
2-3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
7 cups chicken broth
1 cup brown lentils
1 cup baby spinach or kale, finely chopped for best reception by young kids

In a large pot, heat oil and onions until onions are soft and translucent. Add tomatoes and grate in some ginger. I keep my ginger frozen and just grate it with a zester a couple of times--we like ginger a lot, so I am pretty generous. Cook for a few more minutes. Add seasonings and cook for 2 more minutes. Then add sweet potatoes, broth and lentils. Bring the soup to a boil and cover, reducing heat to medium low. Allow to simmer for about half an hour. Add spinach or kale and let cook for about 10 minutes.

A few hints--the seasoning measurements are only approximations. When I first tried this recipe, I followed her measurements and they were WAY too much for our liking. Usually I just sprinkle them in until I like the way it smells. Also, this soup is SO much better if you allow it to sit for a while. I will typically make this in the morning and then we'll have it for dinner. Or I will make it one day and we'll eat it the next. The flavors meld and mellow and it is so delicious. This soup freezes well.

Next up is an original recipe of mine. I am currently eating low-carb again and I was missing soup in my life. This soup is the best of both worlds--warm, flavorful and filling without adding to your waistline.

Cabbage Chicken Soup

1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 medium onion, chopped
3 or 4 stalks celery, finely chopped, including leaves
2 cups kale, finely chopped
2-3 cups cabbage, finely chopped (I have been using frozen)
4-6 ounces canned chicken, cut up
4 cups chicken broth (use what you drain from your canned chicken and add additional broth to make 4 cups)
salt and pepper

In large pot, saute garlic, onion and celery until onions are translucent. Add kale and cabbage and cook an additional minute or so. Add chicken, salt and pepper. Then add chicken broth. Depending on how liquid-y or thick you like your soup, you may want to add more broth. Let simmer for 30 minutes or so, then serve. 

This is a really simple soup but tastes so good on cold days! I love all the various shades of green as well--makes me think of spring!

Hopefully one of these awesome soups will help you stay warm in these last few (please?) weeks of winter!

No comments: