Thursday, September 17, 2009

our house, fall edition

This morning as I went outside to uncover our garden and roll the trash to the street, I was hit by crisp air and early light and suddenly had the sensation that I needed to hurry to the end of the road to catch the bus. What is it about fall that makes you feel like you should be headed to school? I love it!

Every night we dutifully cover our tomatoes and squash plants. Every morning I dutifully uncover said plants and hang the sheets from our porch. I'm sure people driving down the road think we're cousins to the Clampetts, but I really don't care. It looks "festive."

This is by far the coolest zucchini we've grown. I love how he curls up on himself--it reminds me of a duckbill platypus.

This is for you, Mom. Every year in the Highland house, we would have cosmos in front of the kitchen window. I hated them. And then this year, I suddenly felt the urge to have some. They're such a great flower. Like a daisy, but with a little nod to fashion. I only had one come up and blossom, but maybe next year there'll be more.

I love sweet peas. Absolutely. They are definitely my favorite flower. They smell so great, I love the way you never know what colors you're going to get and I love the way the little curly tendrils climb up fences. Mine did pretty good this year and after I get done blogging this, I'm heading out to cut some!



Remember this? What about this? This is how our garden used to be! And now...

This is our garden! It has grown so well!

Everything is huge and delicious and producing so well. I am so proud of us that we have worked this hard and eaten so many yummy meals and bottled so many lovely things from work that we have done. Us! So, even if Jed's new definition of a toy is a jar ring and we look like the Clampetts and my kitchen is eternally sticky and smells like beets, it is worth it. Because we did it and because we'll get to eat it all year long!

1 comment:

Garlick said...

Wow! that is one impressive garden! Way to go. It's lots of work to can but definitely pays off when you go to eat it!